As the fall season arrives and with it cooler temperatures, I start to crave warm “comfort foods”. My summer Beet Smoothie inspired the Breakfast Berry Crumble that can be enjoyed for breakfast or dessert.
For lunch the Collard Wraps provide a filling take on the classic wrap. The Spread can also be enjoyed on celery or with your favorite cracker. Although perhaps not the most visually appetizing meal, I couldn’t stop my husband from 2nd helpings of the Hearty Garden Casserole.
Breakfast Berry Crumble
Prep Time: 30 | Cook Time: 30 | Servings: 6
Ingredients for first bowl:
1 cup chopped pecans
2 cups rolled oats
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp tapioca powder
3 tablespoon maple syrup
1/2 cup melted coconut oil
Ingredients for second bowl:
2 cups steamed cooked beets (once cooled)
3 cups of frozen mixed berries (raspberries, blackberries & blueberries)
2 small to medium oranges ( peeled & blended or 1 ¾ cups of juice)
1/4 cups finely chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1. Dice & steam 2 cups of beets (diced pieces should be size of a blueberry)
2. While beets are cooking, mix first set of ingredients and set aside.
3. In a separate bowl combine the second set of ingredients
4. Mix one cup of the oat mixture into the berry & beet bowl
5. Grease a casserole dish (8 x 10) & add berry/beet mixture
6. Cover this with the remaining oatmeal mixture
7. Bake at 350 for 35 minutes
Collard Wraps with Sunflower Seed Spread
Prep Time: 30 | Cook Time: 0 | Servings: 2
Ingredients for Collard Wraps:
4 large collard leaves
2 large carrots
2 cups sunflower or pea shoots
Sunflower seed spread
Sunflower Seed Spread:
1 cup raw sunflower seeds (soaked)
3 tablespoons raw pumpkin seeds (soaked)
1/4 cup tahini
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 large garlic clove
1/3 cup packed parsley leaves
2 tablespoons hemp hearts
1 tablespoon ground flax
2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
3 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons olive oil
water (add gradually until in till mixture reaches a smooth consistency)
Directions for Sunflower Seed Spread
1. Soak seeds for 1 hour
2. Combine all ingredients into food processor & blend
3. Add water gradually to achieve desired consistency
Directions for Collard Wraps
1. Steam 2 medium beets and allow them to cool
2. Prepare Sunflower Seed Spread
3. Julienne carrots
4. Julienne beets
5. Wash and dry collard greens and carefully cut out stem leaving tip of leaf intact
6. Assemble wrap by overlapping collard green where stem was removed and spreading approximately 3-4 tablespoons of sunflower seed spread perpendicular to the length of collard green adding julienne carrots, beets and pea shoots along side then roll up the collard and cut in half
Notes: Sunflower Seed Spread can be prepared in advance to save time on preparing this lunch.
Hearty Garden Casserole
Prep Time: 20 | Cook Time: 1.5 hours | Servings: 6
1 1/2 cup bone broth (for vegan option use vegetable stock)
2 cups filtered water
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/8 cup olive oil
1/2 cup rinsed red lentils
3/4 cup rinsed brown rice
2 ½ cups crushed tomatoes (or one large can with juices)
1 ½ cups zucchini chopped into smallish pieces
1 ½ cups cauliflower chopped into smallish pieces
1 med onion chopped
2 bay leaves
2 tablespoons crushed wakame (optional)
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp salt
Ingredients for Garlic Cashew Cream:
1/2 cup soaked raw cashews
3/4 cup filtered water
3 large cloves of garlic
5 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1. Soak 1/2 cup cashews in filtered water while starting to mix other ingredients.
2. Combine all ingredients except those for garlic cashew cream into a casserole dish (approximately 9x13) & stir.
3. Drain soaked cashew and blend together with water, garlic and nutritional yeast.
4. Add garlic cashew cream to casserole dish and stir (mixture will be really soupy).
5. Cover & bake at 350 for 1.5 hours stirring every 30 minutes or so.
Change Your Food, Change Your Life with
Jennifer Mortimer, ‘W’Holistic Nutritional Consultant
Jenn is a certified Holistic Nutritional Consultant focused on educating and providing personal holistic nutrition programs.
Through her life long passion & studies at the Canadian School of Nutrition she learned about the science of foods: what fuels the body, what keeps it in balance, what throws it off balance and how the body functions differently in correlation to the foods we eat to support for our individual unique biochemistry.
Jenn’s nutritional philosophy is that no diet can substitute for the wisdom of your body. Unfortunately, in today’s fast paced world, it can be difficult to know what information is credible let alone tapping into our body’s wisdom. We default to the status quo eating habits in absence of time to figure out what to do and how to do it.
Jenn’s purpose is to educate and inspire a nutritional lifestyle by filling in the gap between knowledge and action by providing the resources & tools so that people feel healthy, happy & energized. In the process she seeks to change the
conversation from “good & bad foods” to foods that fuel our body and those that reduce our energy while providing the experience of how amazing ‘healthy’ can taste.
Contact Jenn directly to find out more about the services & programs she offers & how balancing your body systems can change your life.
Jennifer Mortimer, C.H.N.C ™